Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Hosea 9: Sin Doesn't Pick Favorites

I have recently been walking through a study of Hosea with the She Reads Truth community. Looking at Hosea has been great for so many reasons. I am not super familiar with this book and it has been such a blessing to learn about it and dig into the richness of the word. 

I was in awe of the truths I found on Day 10 of the study. I am familiar with the concept of sin. I am familiar with God's sacrifice that atoned for our sin, my sin. Though I read things that I have heard about for years in church and have read about in the Word, my eyes and my heart were freshly reminded of humanity's sin issue as I read through Hosea chapter 9. Particularly, verses 9 and 15. As I read of Israel's sinful mess, I couldn't help but think that I am no better than Israel, or anyone else when it comes to a matter of man's sinfulness and a Holy God. Sin doesn't pick favorites...we're all guilty. 

"They have deeply corrupted themselves
as in the days of Gibeah; 
he will remember their iniquity;
he will punish their sins. 
(v.9)

"Every evil of theirs is in Gilgal;
there I began to hate them.
Because of the wickedness of their deeds
I will drive them out of my house.
I will love them no more;
all their princes are rebels."
(v. 15)

Let me share with you an excerpt from Day 10:


The larger my view of my sin, the larger my view of the cross.  
Seeing more of what should separate me from a holy God means seeing more of Christ. Understanding the vastness of my sin means understanding the vastness of Jesus’ love and sacrifice for me.
The cross covers it ALL.
Why the cross? Why such a sacrifice? Because we are Israel-caliber sinners. Because our holy God cannot be near sin and, therefore, cannot be near us were it not for Jesus.
Hosea 9 is the portrayal of what should be the consequence of Israel’s sin. “Because of the wickedness of their deeds,” says the Lord, “I will drive them out of my house. I will love them no more.” (v.15, ESV) “Woe to them when I depart from them!” (v.12)
Sisters, as painful as it may be, it is important that we see our sin. It is important that we look on it without flinching, that we grasp the lengths to which the Holy One has gone to draw us to Him. We should grieve all sin and we should grieve our sin. 

I am so thankful for a Holy God and Father who allows us to repent of our sinfulness and return to his mercy, grace, and steadfast love day after day. I am thankful that despite my wretched sinful heart, his love for me will never change. 

May our eyes always be open to our necessity for Christ and his sacrifice on the cross. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, sweet girl, for using your blog to address such eternally important issues. It shines your love for the Church and for Jesus! Keep it up! Love ya bunches!

    ReplyDelete