Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Farmers' Market Frenzy: East Lake Farmers Market

As Summer rolls around, it seems fitting to go explore the various farmers' markets set up around town. I am not too experienced when it comes to farmers' markets. However, I really want to be! Thankfully, there are quite a few in my neck of the woods! To join in on the fun, I have picked four local markets to visit over the next few weeks. The key items on my list: zucchini, new potatoes, strawberries, peaches, blueberries, and maybe some fresh herbs and peppers. 

First up, East Lake Farmers Market!


Thanks to a little extra time before work last Saturday, I had the chance to visit the East Lake Farmers Market. Little did I know that it is within mere blocks from my house. Now, it's nothing grand or fancy, but has just enough of all the things you need!


Its location in the rear parking lot of a beautiful church is just such a special treat, in itself. Look at this place...


Walking around I found quite a few little gems...things like homemade jam with the coolest vintage-y labels! I may have to try some of this next time, just because of the cool packaging. What can I say, I'm a sucker for design! 


I also ran into this gentleman who so kindly spared some of his fresh-from-the-garden zucchinis...for a small price, of course. 


And just a few tables down, I came upon a baskets full of these beauties. Fresh peaches! 


One of the greatest things I discovered as I was wandering around, was that this particular market partners with and organization called P.E.E.R., Inc. The title stands for Promoting Empowerment and Enrichment Resources. Their mission is as follows:

P.E.E.R., Inc. aims to empower a thriving, diverse community in the eastern area of Birmingham through resources for healthy living, learning, and working.  We do this by connecting people to existing resources and creating new resources to meet needs in the areas of community health, economic development, and education.  We aim to enrich the lives of those with limited resources and place special emphasis on children and seniors.


I mean, how great is that? I really love the idea of community forces working together to benefit the good of everyone. 

After my brief visit, and a few dollars spent, I went home with a HUGE bag of snap peas, some zucchini, and some gorgeous peaches! Trying to decide which recipes to use on the other hand...now that's the challenge, and a fun one at that! 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly! Thank you for the compliments and we hope to see you back at the market! Please visit www.eastlakemarket.org for those special peach recipes you're in search of. You can also follow us on Twitter @EastLakeMarket or find us on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this lil treasure of a "heads-up"! Who knew this was so close? Can't wait to try it out...maybe this Saturday!

    ReplyDelete