Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Ponderings from a First-time Professor

As of today, I am about to complete my second week of teaching a Preschool Development course at the University of Alabama. Two weeks, already?! That means it is half over! (The course is a summer class that only lasts a little over 4 weeks). It is flying by. 

Some of the concerns or anxieties that I had before beginning this little adventure have disappeared. For instance, I'm not really as intimidated as I thought I would be. Additionally, the class is small in size which is conducive to many things, one of them being plenty of time to answer student questions and devote individual time to each one as needed. 

I haven't been a professor long, but I've learned quite a few things already!




1: I still have to study. 
Just because I am the teacher does not mean that I no longer have to study class material. In fact, I probably have to study it 10x more than the students. Being as I am the one relaying the information, I have to have a well-rounded and significantly detailed understanding of every concept that we discuss in class. (Just making notes for class lecture, can take hours.) If I can't communicate, then my students can't learn. If my students can't learn, then they can't pass. (It is safe to say from experience that I had just as much, if not more, test anxiety than my students before and during the first exam! Whether or not they did well would be a reflection of how well I am teaching. Eeeek. Good news is...they did pretty well on the exam!) Bottom line, I always need to know what I'm talking about. If I don't know, then I need to be able to express why that is the case. 

2: Be prepared. Be REALLY prepared.
As the teacher, it is my job to be able to a) teach the curriculum, and b) be able to answer student questions. Making sure that I am up to date on all knowledge concerning assignments, exams, and day-to-day class can be a little overwhelming sometimes. Thankfully, I have a brain that can't stand to be unorganized, especially in situations such as this one. It's a lot to be the professor, the grader, the question-answerer, the facilitator, the scheduler, and the accommodator. However, it is also quite exciting. That part about being REALLY prepared...those moments come when things like a lab orientation video decides to stop working halfway through, the projector decides it wants the day off, a student doesn't show up until week 2, and/or Blackboard decides that it doesn't like to work...barely ever! Things happen, and constantly having to be on my toes can be kind of a rush! It's exciting, in an odd sort of way.

3: I have a valid reason to wear cute outfits everyday!
Let's get this straight, I wore cute outfits during my time as a graduate student. However, as a professor, I get to "act" and "look" the part. It may be insignificant to some of you, especially to some who may have had to dress for their careers for years, but to this newbie, I'm loving every second of it. I've kind of even mentally challenged myself to wear a different outfit everyday of class for the entire 4 weeks?! So far, so good. And can I just say, the outfit for day one was killer! (Think black and white striped maxi dress, a lime green blazer, and a fantastic teal blue statement necklace!) A girl has got to look fabulous, right?!

4: Being the leader has its benefits.
One of the best things about taking on this role, has been the challenge that it provides. I have now studied psychology/sociology/child development/family studies for 5 years. Teaching this class is almost more of a test of my own knowledge than it is of my students' knowledge. I'm finally getting the chance to see if I really do know the things that I claim to know when it comes to child (specifically Preschool) development. It is most definitely one of those "practice what you preach" moments! Thankfully, for the most part I feel like I really do have a pretty good understanding of these areas. It's nice to hear people like my advisor say that I have a "really great foundational knowledge of child development", and that I can communicate it in a "very concise and clear manner". It is even nicer, though, to experience that and believe it for myself. 

5: It is still weird.
I am a teacher. No, I am a college professor. No longer a college student. The reality of this is still just a bit strange to wrap my head around. Good news is, that that is part of the novelty. By not being able to fully adjust to the idea in my mind, I think it has helped me really, truly live in the moment and enjoy the experience as it happens! 

6: I really do love Child Development!
Children truly are fascinating little creatures! It's a privilege to get to talk about ALL the ways in which they grow!

Here's to hoping that I am able to finish well! The Lord has provided me with the opportunity, and it is my goal to bring him the glory and the thanks by doing the best that I can. Hopefully, at the end, this will be the case!

1 comment:

  1. I just knew you would make an awesome prof! Wish I could sit in on one of your classes and see the "master" at work! :-)

    ReplyDelete