Saturday, December 28, 2013

Georgetown Cupcake Tour

Seeing as how 2013 is quickly disappearing, I need to get some things finished. A recap of my trip to D.C. being one of them. As I've mentioned before, and for those who know me well, it is to no one's surprise that I happen upon seek out the best bakeries in any town that I visit. I like to think of these "bakery tours" as really fun and tasty ways to explore new places! It is always a guessing game as to what I'll find. Georgetown, did not disappoint when it came to places to visit. I had a great time wandering the quaint, brick-paved streets filling my arms with all sorts of bakery treats! (This doesn't make it exactly easy to carry the rest of one's shopping bags, but the taste-testing party at the end of the day makes the juggling act worth it!) Sacrifice is necessary when it comes to sweet treats and cupcakeries!

First up was a shop called Baked & Wired. Just off the beaten path, this little shop is home to both a bake shop (Baked) and a coffee bar (Wired). My mission was simple...find a cupcake. The choices were many and the treats all looked decadent. What I loved most about the shop was the handcrafted look and feeling of both the displays and the products. 

(Someone please give this dog a treat...all he wanted was a cupcake! Is that so wrong?!)

the goods

my choice: The Tessita (vanilla cupcake w/dulce de leche filling 
topped w/ a hazelnut ganache & hazelnut)

Next up, the famous Sprinkles. While I've tried Sprinkles before and had not been overly impressed, it had been years, so I decided to give it another go. Not to mention, when in the vicinity of a cupcake shop, you go. Period. 


so pink and inviting

I will give them credit. The Sprinkles aesthetic is super chic. So simple and modern. 

I took home a Salted Caramel.

Last but not least, the grand mecca, the epic moment...THE Georgetown Cupcake! Never did I think that I would actually make it to this shop in person (or D.C. at all for that matter) during my lifetime, but I was supremely excited to actually have the opportunity. Raise your hand if you, like me, have watched DC Cupcakes and have dreamt about the perfect icing swirl and huge sculptures built out of mini cupcakes....I digress. Anyway, I had heard various reviews, but definitely wanted the chance to decide for myself!

Georgetown Cupcake

the menu ( I chose a chocolate peanut butter & a caramel apple.)


Cuteness in Cupcake form!



Quite the memorable experience for this Cupcake Lover!

As an added last minute bonus to my bakery adventure, I found an adorable shop called Olivia Macaron! Next to cupcakes, macarons are right up there on the list of indulgent, delicious, must-have treats! So light and tiny, and packed with flavor... 

I do have to give some props to the ladies at Olivia Macaron. They were super nice and quite pleasant to chat with. I must also mention that if you are ever in the Georgetown area, stop by, their macarons (not to be confused with macaroons) are delicious!

wall o' macarons

They had a rather large variety. I walked away with a pumpkin, a rose, and a chocolate. 
All good choices!

I had an absolute blast visiting these shops! Taste-testing wasn't too shabby, either. As far as ratings go, well.....I'll be honest and say that after tasting, my favorite treats ended up being the caramel apple bar (Baked & Wired) and the rose macaron (Olivia Macaron). Can you believe it? The cupcakes were good. The Chocolate Peanut Butter from Georgetown and the Tessita (Baked & Wired) were probably the best. I would even give the award for best looking cupcakes to Georgetown Cupcakes... A+ for appearance. Seriously, adorable! However, my tastebuds weren't overwhelmingly thrilled. Decent choices as far as cupcakes go, but none that I would shout over the rooftops for. Don't get me wrong though, that didn't make it any less enjoyable! Bakery adventures will continue no matter where my travels take me!

No comments:

Post a Comment