Sunday, December 29, 2013

Touring the Capital City

While in D.C. for the NAEYC conference, I was also lucky enough to have the city at my fingertips for a few days! I'll mention that D.C. has never been on my list of places to visit. I guess, stereotypically I have always considered it to be kind of stuffy and very, well, political and historical. (Two things that I really am not a huge fan of.) Obviously, politics and history are huge characteristics of Washington D.C, but I quickly learned that it had much more to offer! Much more…I was quite pleasantly surprised by how brilliant of a city it is…and how much I instantaneously loved it! Who knew?

Armed with a map and my own two I decided to use one of my afternoons as an opportunity to take a self-guided tour of the city. Without further ado…I'll give you a brief tour of my capitol adventure. I'll spare you the hours and hours of walking and just let you scroll through some photos. You're welcome! Also, seeing as I explored with coffee in my hand, it would only be fitting to grab yourself a cup as you come along!

A moment of PANIC! Figuring out the metro machines was somewhat intimidating, at first.

The most beautiful and entertaining view outside my hotel window in downtown D.C.! 
I loved people watching from this window!

D.C. landscape in the Fall

Did I mention that my hotel was exactly 3 blocks from the White House!

Beautiful, right? Stunning, actually. I'm thinking of moving in...perhaps the right wing?!



The U.S. Treasury Department

National Metropolitan Bank showing off some gorgeous D.C. architecture

(Hotel Washington) more architecture....sorry, can't get enough. old and beautiful!

Capital building from a distance


front of the Treasury building

Washington Monument under construction

prepping for Christmas at the White House. 
The Christmas tree lover in me was super excited to see this!

other side of the White House

Having an absolute and unexpected blast walking around the city!

A walk in the park in the fall. The colors...so pretty and serene!
Out of all the monuments, I was most looking forward to seeing this one.

Standing by Lincoln was a simultaneously stunning and seriously cool moment!

One of my absolute favorite experiences of the trip!

Recognize this famous view? History became real at this very moment. As I proceeded down the steps and towards the monument, I couldn't help but think of the millions and millions of people that had gathered and footsteps that had walked before me in this very location years ago. Wow. 

Korean War Memorial

World War Memorial at dusk

This is where my tour ended. At this point I had been walking for a solid 3-4 hours. I did not get to see all of the monuments and museums, but I saw a pretty fair share of the capital's historic sites. I can't wait to get back to D.C.! I'd love to see the rest of what the capital city has to offer. So much so, that I would jump on a plane tomorrow to go back! Georgetown, Downtown D.C., the conference....this place was so easy to fall in love with! Who wants to join me on the next visit?

No comments:

Post a Comment