Sunday, December 8, 2013

Imagine. Innovate. Inspire. - Washington D.C.

Hi folks! If you're a regular here, you know that I uh….missed the whole month of November?! Sorry. Seems only appropriate that I sneak in a few minutes to post some fun updates. Stay tuned for those, the next few days.

November was a crazy month, but a great one! Pretty sure, besides seeing my parents (Thanks for coming to Bham!!!) and prepping our Thanksgiving meal, there was one event that stood out above the rest! The 2013 NAEYC Conference in Washington D.C.! 

The National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) puts on a HUGE annual conference every fall (bringing top of the line speakers, sessions, and the most up to date information on young children and early childhood education), and this year's conference was in the capitol! I was honored and privileged to have my work sponsor the trip for me this year. It's hard to completely put into words, but being at this conference is like being in another world for 2-3 days. A really, really great and fun world at that! Without going on and on for hours, let's just say there are over 500 sessions to choose from, a massive Expo Hall, lots of freebies, fun networking opportunities, maybe some singing and dancing (with complete strangers- Ha!), and lots of coffee!! This year was my 2nd trip to the annual conference and I was just, if not more, excited for it. I had the lovely opportunity to sit in on some wonderfully valuable and informative sessions on topics such as: Sensory Processing Disorders, Self-Regulation in Infants & Toddlers, Attention, and Farm to Preschool integration. Better yet, some of these sessions were presented by legendary and extremely prominent Early Childhood leaders and educators. I couldn't have been more thrilled to hear from Bodrova & Leong (their research and insight on preschool children and play is outstanding) and Dr. Becky Bailey (best known for the Conscious Discipline behavior strategy)! Gosh, I could go on for an hour…but I won't. Here are the highlights! (or at least the ones I have photos for.)

NAEYC Top 5!

1. Imagine. Innovate. Inspire. NAEYC 2013 Conference Session


2. The bag o' swag! This goody bag, rocks! All sorts of fun treats like school supplies, totes, books, etc.


3. The Expo Hall!


4. Playing with my food, and not getting in trouble for it! Exploring wheat berries and making butter…while singing of course! (picture that!)


5. Accidentally discovering the Chinatown area of D.C. on a lunch break. What a happy surprise!



Looks fun, right? There's more to come. I'll see you back here, soon! And for those friends interested in coming to NAEYC, let's make it happen! I'll meet you in DALLAS (EEEP!!) in 2014! 

No comments:

Post a Comment