Friday, July 26, 2013

I'll Meet You in Seattle!: Part 2

Welcome back! I'm excited to share with you the rest of my super quick and super fun Seattle adventure!

After roomie and I left the original Starbucks, we continued walking down Pike Street searching for some gluten-free goodies ( a "monster" cookie the size of your face) for her and taking in the rest of the marketplace. We even stopped to sample some jams and other sweet sauces at a quaint little shop. The salted caramel sauce was one of those "I could stick my face in this jar" kind of delicious moments. It's true. 


Soon after, we stumbled upon this lovely place. Crepe de France. Yes and Okay! We wandered in, evaluated/battled between our sweet and savory choices for a long time for a bit, and then decided to come back when we would be hungry enough to eat one. After sampling food all afternoon at the market, we were kind of stuffed! I was at least, and these crepes were rather large!



We finally decided on just a savory crepe to tide us over. Our hunt for a cupcake place was next on the agenda. We ended up ordering the Crepe De Dande A Lail (Gluten Free) which contained turkey, green onion, spinach, and mozzarellla. Overall the flavors were good, but the crepe itself was a bit on the crispy/dry side for me. I'm still glad we tried one, though!


Also around this time, a local suggested that we visit the "gum wall". What? I wasn't fully sure what it was about, but was definitely up for hunting it down. Thanks to roomie, she spotted the way and this is what we found...


A huge wall walls COVERED in gum?! Gross upon first approach, but kind of pretty when I stood back to look at all the colors. 


After doing some research, I have learned that the Market Theater Gum Wall is a local landmark and tourist attraction located in Post Alley. Apparently, the tradition began around 1993 when patrons of the theater began sticking gum to the walls. Theater workers supposedly engaged in a few attempts to scrape off the sticky stuff, but eventually gave up. Thus, the gum wall has lived on. 


Quite the "sticky" situation, but why not? We grabbed a few pieces of gum, chewed them up, and then perused the wall for the perfect landing spot. Let's just say that we contributed, and then quickly pulled out the hand sanitizer! Obviously. It was weird and fun, nonetheless. 


We ventured on from here to fine a cupcake shop that I had spotted on our tourist map.  It's one of my favorite things to do in any city that I visit! I will gladly hunt down cupcakes!! Here in downtown Seattle, The Yellow Leaf Cupcake Co. was our target. After a brief stop asking for directions, we managed to find it! 


Don't they look pretty?!


Cupcakes always make this girl happy!!!


I chose to give the Belgian Chocolate and the Pancakes & Bacon a try! 


As a cupcake lover and connoisseur I take cupcake sampling pretty seriously. Overall, I would give this place a "9" for appearance and about a "5" for taste. The cake was okay, but the frosting was pretty lacking (as in not much flavor and a kind of odd softened butter-like consistency). 

Next stop, the SkyView Observatory at Columbia Center. Did I mention that this building was on the complete opposite side of downtown? Ha, we didn't care though. We ventured on quickly, because according to our information it closed soon and we had like 20 minutes to get there?! Luckily we made it and then found out once we got there that we didn't have to rush at all. At least the speed walking was good cardio, right?

Stopped to hug a giant cherry red popsicle on the way!


We made it to the tower and this is the view that welcomed us as we stepped onto the 73rd floor. Hello, Seattle!

The view from 932 ft. above!

We ended up choosing to do Columbia Center instead of the Space Needle for two reasons: 1) It was less expensive, and 2) we would still be able to see the Space Needle. It was worth it. The nearly 360 degree view of Seattle from above was breathtakingly beautiful!




As our day began to wind down, we found ourselves having a little extra time. Roomie and I ventured back the way we came from and did some shopping and people watching. You never know what you'll see on a street corner or in the middle of the sidewalk!

Like a life-sized chess match...


A beautiful waterfall...


Or a street band complete with cello, guitar, drums, oboe and a violin!


So there it is, my one day journey through downtown Seattle with roomie! We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day to explore! I had a blast exploring the city with Bri! The extra looonnnnggg day of travel the day after was completely worth it, after having enjoyed an awesome and spontaneous trip! 

My take-aways from Seattle:

1) The weather is amazing! (Those people that complain about "rain"...that's just silliness.)
2) Again, there is a Starbucks on every corner. Enough said. 
3) Touring the city via bicycle would be crazy fun!
4) I would gladly go back! Any time! 

I may not be a flight attendant, but I at least got to feel somewhat like one even if only for a day! Until next time and next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment